Reflecting on the enormity of a Literature Review.

Upon re reading the module two handbook, I found myself taking a slightly different approach. Adesola's words “It's all about the process” have really resonated with me and much like the Module one study where much of it was reflecting on our practice/methods of learning, I decided to become the observer of my own actions. One could say I am 'reflecting on action' in order to improve my ability to reflect in action. A process theorised by Donald Schon (1983) which I believe is of prime importance in my continuous teaching development.

The first barrier between being able to conduct a literature review- was the fact that I didn't actually know what a Literature review was. (It would be a good place to start by finding out!)- This can be described as recognising what I DON'T know, meaning- I value the need to enlighten myself. I achieved the now known knowledge by typically using a search engine and asking some of my friends who are academics.
I then reflected on the type of literature I needed to research before I defined how I would go about this, demonstrating a step by step approach. I began by making the mind map I displayed in my previous post which helped to gather all my stray ideas into one document. I chose this method because I'd found it helpful in the previous module, and I know from previous study endeavours that getting things down on paper is beneficial to me.
With this general map, I read the Lit review section in the handbook which is a document I trust. I like how direct it is and how the targeted audience (students with practicing backgrounds) are spoken to with a suitable level of intellect. As the observer, I noticed my mind was picking up on some key points. For example, I know I have a tendency to ramble and get carried away. Hence my predisposed risk of mistakenly reading ALL of EVERYTHING searchable. 'Point noted'. Additionally I computed the difference between Key texts and general literature. 


At this point I will also mention that between the end of Module 1 and the commencement of Module 2, I was aware that we would have to do a literature review, and so in the background I had been gathering some texts I thought may be of interest. My awareness has increased and I do find myself paying more attention to articles and viewpoints on the topic of teaching, dancing and mental health.

It goes without saying that I normally have to read the general instruction guides for anything technical. Subsequently, the library search guides on Uni Hub helped me to generate a search which then allowed me to successfully save any relevant literature into a favourites list.
I'd say I was merging a few different points of David Kolb (1984) and his learning cycle. Here- Reflective observation and Active participation being the main two. I was developing a little more confidence as the process progressed. Once I had gathered about 8 different texts, I then proceeded to peruse.

The reading was challenging. I noticed myself getting carried away and wanting to read an entire article. I'd then write notes on it before finding another article which was actually more relevant but held the same view point. Because I'd already recognised my risk of getting carried away, I was able to recognise this in the moment- almost like an act of mindfulness. Thinking about areas of learning, I can relate this to some Cognitive remedial therapy I once received which aims to increase mind flexibility. I recall having to summarise a long document into 2-3 sentences. This skill would prevent one getting lost in the minor details and so I was trying to replicate this technique once again.
A couple of times I was able to reassure myself with the notion that I knew this process would feel uncomfortable- I knew my punitive mind would be doubting every move I made- presuming I was doing it wrong. Why wasn't I confident in my venture? I just wanted to do it all now and do it right! Which conversely is the complete opposite of what my study is trying to achieve.....

There were instances of delight as I'd discover a text which seemed highly interesting and relevant. However, it's tricky to recognise what is relevant when I'm not entirely sure of the actual inquiry question yet. The Skype discussion I had helped ease my anxieties about the unknown as it was emphasised how the question ONLY comes at the end of Module 3! This was all about the journey of researching, keeping an open mind. I made a mental note to explore even more avenues when I next returned to my journal searching. My peers were factors which helped this discovery:


Kathleen exampled all the different branches I could look into- branches I hadn't even considered! I realised I'd been making assumptions according to my own knowledge. For example, my acceptance about the term mental health. Yes, but what actually IS mental health? Is there literature on the definition? What is therapy? What does therapy mean? Within my literature search I actually challenged my perspective with a reseacrh journal on dance as therapy. Swaying the balance in my inquiry proposal opened a huge number of avenues. Rather than focusing on the typical local dance studio or training colleges, what about institutions where dance is is introduced as a creative therapy- to non dancers? For some reason, this sparked my interest which may be a sign I need to explore the area more.
Learning from others has always been a useful tool for me so I always encourage myself to attend as many Skype discussions as I can.

So what's the point of all this? I suppose what I am trying to say is that I am consistently learning what I don't know, which then informs my next steps in a process. This means that it's impossible for stagnation to occur. The process WILL change as I discover new meaning. My reading search the next time around will be broader in branches as a result of the discussions and feedback I have had since. I also feel encouraged to keep progressing in the later stages of the cycle-remembering it's a wheel which will go round and round, gathering information with each rotation.

I am currently away on Holiday so I knew to prepare a few books for me to try and read on location. One of which I am hoping can be a key text as through recollection, I remember reading extracts of the book The Student Dancer (Buckroyd, 2000) During my RAD studies. After a bit more internet research into the Author I discovered that Julia Buckroyd is actually an expert in eating disorders and so would perhaps hold one vital perspective in my study. But as mentioned, I am reluctant to close doors. It may be relevant, it may not be. All I can do is keep on reflecting, keep on exploring, and somehow remain hopeful that the path will become clearer as time goes on! 


With that- 

One of my favourite quotes to end with by Martin Luther King Jr:



Figure 1: Brainyquote

 
References

Buckroyd, J. (2000). The student dancer: emotional aspects of the teaching and learning of dance. London: Dance Books.

King Jr, M. L. (n.d.). Retrieved from https://www.brainyquote.com/quotes/martin_luther_king_jr_105087

Kolb, D. A. (2015). Experiential learning: experience as the source of learning and development. Upper Saddle River (New Jersey): Pearson Education Ltd.

Schön Donald A. (1983). The reflective practitioner: how professionals think in action. New York: Basic Books.

2 comments:

  1. I’m currently trying to get to grips with the handbook for our Module Two submissions and found this blog really helpful! Best of luck with mindful research and thanks for writing such an in-depth blog!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great blog ! I particular liked the bit about Cognitive remedial therapy. I would definitely benefit from the technique of being able to shorten my stories and thoughts !

    All the best
    Lois :)

    ReplyDelete