5th Feb Skype: Perspectives on the Process of the Plan....



The Skype discussion this morning seemed to come at just the right time. I'd just been getting started at looking into various literature which may relate to my inquiry topic- but I felt uncommitted to the process as I was still unsure on my specific question. How could I go onto step two in the cycle without complete step one? Well it appears I would have been waiting a very long time!
It seems I have been missing the mark with the purpose of Module Two, and as Adesola signified-
“It's all about the process”. Something I have to drill into myself time and time again as I desperately pursue definitive answers. But what an inflexible way of thinking? Allowing myself to remain open minded can only open more doors. One of the main things I took away was the information stating that the inquiry question will be clearest and the END of MODULE 3. Module 3! yes- The FINAL MODULE! One of those distant concepts I couldn't possibly imagine ever being in the position of undertaking- yet I don't need to know my exact question until THEN? And there I am, trying to grasp it before the end of the week.

In some ways, this is a huge relief. It feels less like grasping and more akin to curiously exploring-which is necessary when undertaking such a huge task as an inquiry topic (See my last post for the factors which affect an inquiry topic decision). I'm quite a fan of imagery, so I'm trying to visualise the approach a bit like the rolling of a snowball.

 
Figure 1: The Snowball Effect 

The snowball represents my journey in the cycle of building a practice based inquiry. The cycle won't just consist of one rotation, instead I will work through the six steps multiple times. Each new step will inform the other and I should expect to be gaining more insight and knowledge which informs my inquiry every time I engage in the cycle (Like the cumulative effect of a snowball rolling down a hill). The key point to remember is that I will continually develop and adjust my idea according to what I am in the process of learning. In exploring outwards, I will discover things I didn't know I didn't know which is where the seeds of new knowledge are born.

So how would this relate to the inquiry theme I have been pondering about? Say I begin with the starting point of wanting to discover “Is there a link between teaching approaches and the mental health of students?”I have created the following diagram which helps me to understand the cycle a little more:



And then what? The cycle will begin again- then again- then again.

As reflect, see what I now know, see how I learn,

Then I'll plan, my plans will change, how does it feel when plans change?

And the process will never stop- not even at the end of this course. My practice is a process and as a Teacher I will always be a learner......

Oh, and on a side note- I am now one of the student representatives so I'd really appreciate hearing from you if you have any thoughts about the BAPP study course. The aim is to feedback to make improvements and highlight what is also working really well.
And of course, any thoughts on the Skype sessions today and what you took away from it would be great to hear!

References

Dewey, J. (1909). How we think. London: Heath.

Figure 1 (2017, July 20). Retrieved February 6, 2020, from https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KWpEBUgRAcQ


Weiss, R. S. (1995). Learning from strangers: the art and method of qualitative interview studies. New York, NY: Free Press.




2 comments:

  1. Hey Sophie. I really liked your 'snowball effect' analogy as the inquiry is an accumulation of your own knowledge and experiences as well as other's. Good luck with your research, I hope a clearer inquiry topic comes to you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great snowball analogy Sophie !
    I’m very similar to you , in that I like immediate answers and want to know ‘the question ‘.
    All will become clear as we work our way through I’m sure :)

    ReplyDelete