"Why am I doing this?" Skype discussion: Weds 26th Feb.



Yesterday morning, the group Skype call seemed to be populated with a good mix of different modules, everyone at their own stage of the process. It's always reassuring to feel the familiar glossary of terms associated with my current module, plus to look back on where I was, as well as feeling intirgued about what is yet to come in the third term.
We were encouraged to be specific in our vocal introductions which I was grateful for, as it added more context and colour to the conversation. I am beginning to get an idea of who is interested in what area and why. And yes, Ironically, this became the topic of the conversation. WHY? In fact, the word was mentioned so frequently it was even suggested we alter the term to 'questioning' instead!
Adesola began the topic by recalling an account of an instance where the question was raised by a group of colleagues. They asked themselves:
“WHY AM I DOING WHAT I'M DOING?”
In practice, it sounds so simple yet it's one of those imperitive notes of consideration which is so easy to veer from. The example communicated to us concerned a group of businessmen, who were encouraged to attend a dance class. Knowing the stereotypical presentation of an office worker, the chances are they wouldn't just blindly comply with such peculiar instruction. Natural human instinct would prompt them to ask why they might need to do so? Therefore- An informative explanation as to how it would be a beneficial team building event to promote fitness may increase willingness of the group and would at least provide them with some sense of purpose. 
The need would lead to awareness, which would lead to wonder, which would lead to purpose, which would lead to action and eventually a state of 'knowing'. I made a little flow chart of this as I was only just reflecting in action about my process of blogging. For example:


 
PURPOSE: why you do something or why something exists
Definition of purpose from the Cambridge Advanced Learner's Dictionary & Thesaurus © Cambridge University Press.

Of course if the learning process was that simple then I'm sure I'd be feeling far more secure about the process of the BAPP course! But in the advancement of technology, where an overwhelming amount of information is now accessable at our fingertips; It can make the learning process seem exponential

I have been reading quite a lot about student centred learning and how education has adapted over the years to suit the culture endured. Where once an authoritarian teacher may have just delivered a tick box syllabus, now learners are encouraged to direct their own processes with autonomy. Carl Rogers, an American psychologist contributed to the student centred learning. The notion that the process in which knowledge is discovered by oneself, he believed was the exact type of learning which was influential enough to adapt behaviour. (Kraft, 1994)

Once again, I can take from this a reminder that knowledge is grown out of the anxious experience of firstly NOT knowing. The recognition of realising I am in the dark could be prompted by a number of factors:



Applying this to my current stage of study, I will aim to keep exploring a broad range of literature which covers all perspectives. This can be achieved by not narrowing down my inquiry question so early on as this would limit my range of discovery. We discussed as a group how a narrow mind in research can lead to a loss of substance, of nuance around the original question, and subsequently the original intention of the endeavour.

I would like to share an image I came across on a Website which had a very interesting read. The author; Sarah Briggs lists the benefits of not knowing something- which compliments our topic of discussion. I have incliuded a link to the website below:

Figure 1: From 'The Power of I don't know' (Website below)


On a final note- As a student rep I also took part in a Student Voice discussion. We aimed to feed back on any concerns/suggestions from current students on the BAPP course as well as highlighting the positives we have experienced. The official meeting will be held this coming Tuesday 3rd of March, so I'd love to hear any more thoughts! Please get in contact if you would like us to communicate anything to Adesola and Helen, and we can then raise any topics with the University committee.

More information will follow, but there was a general consensus that we wanted to create more of a community amongst those who are studying. As long distance learners, it can often feel quite isolating- especially when one is struggling with the course content. I know I often feel this way personally and wish I could speak to someone else for reassurance! Lorien has therefore kindly created a Facebook group for BAPP members so we'd love for people to join. It's quite a task to source who is part of the program at present,  so please do add me on Facebook! If you just search Sophie Coster you'll find me.
Equally, my email address is: sophie.coster@gmail.com.

Hopefully we can be the voice of anyone who wants to express a viewpoint, and fingers crossed from now on we can strengthen the community of support!



 
Bibliography

Briggs, S., Briggs, S. B. S., & Briggs, S. (2015, August 15). The Power of "I Don't Know". Retrieved from https://www.opencolleges.edu.au/informed/features/the-power-of-i-dont-know/


Kraft, R. G. (1994). Bike riding and the art of learning. In L. B. Barnes, C. Roland Christensen, & A. J. Hansen (Eds.), Teaching and the case method. Boston: Harvard Business School Press, Pg. 41


Purpose. (n.d.). Cambridge Dictionary. Retrieved from https://dictionary.cambridge.org/dictionary/english/purpose


2 comments:

  1. Hi Sophie,
    This was really useful to read as the skype I was meant to go to was cancelled. Getting into module one I've realised how important it is to question things, and a really big one is to ask 'why am I doing this?' I believe we are constantly learning and changing so the answers to all the questions will change. I really like the diagram you've included as well because it shows that we are all going through similar things.
    Thank you!
    Alys

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sophie, this was such a good write up of the skype! When I was trying to write up I found I'd completely forgotten what happened so this was a really useful reminder which, even weeks later is still so applicable. Only today after sending my first literature review of for feedback was I questioning the relevance and 'why' and the more I explore the inquiry topic the easier it is to loose the relevance.

    ReplyDelete