Signed, sealed, delivered: Submission relief and teaching transformations.....

 I SUBMITTED!......

Never thought I'd see the day. I felt such an overwhelming wave a relief once I'd uploaded the documents to Turn it in, and although Covid has eliminated any possibility of 'celebrations', it's been satisfying enough to be able to have some of my evenings back without constant proof reading my report!


I've been feeling rather guilty as I've been meaning to do another blog post for the past couple of weeks, but I found it increasingly hard to justify writing something when most of my efforts of late had been centred around finalising my artefact. The project ended up being different to a format I originally anticipated. Not a problem though as I now revel in the fact that I am able to change my mind.

It was apparent that my peers were following a similar trajectory, as during our final skype discussion it was clear that a fountain of ideas were continually being generated! It was wonderful to hear how certain threads of information had been inspired from everyday encounters- perhaps a comment from someone, or a discovery in a piece of literature. It meant that the creation of each artefact was in no way static. The process was evolving every day, reflecting that exciting buzz of creativity we are often so fearful of trusting.

I noticed the contrast between how tentative we often all seemed to be around academic essay submissions,  and 'returning home' to being able to produce something in our creative medium. From drawings, mind maps, dances, Illustrative Children's books, song writing- all of our artefacts sound entirely individual and unique. I cannot wait to see the finished products when we come to present!

In the end, I decided to merge my choreographed dance piece with an art work I painted. I experienced the usual imposter doubt because 'I am not an artist'. But I thoroughly enjoyed putting paint onto the page! Adesola suggested combining both mediums in a video format which required me to study some imovie tutorials. After much trial and error, I think I managed it in the end. I will be very apprehensive to present my final project to other's eyes, but I will continually remind myself that the creation process was the beneficial factor. The goal of the artefact is not merely to seek approval. (Example of the work in progress below). 




As well as fleeting ideas about things I'd like to vocalise in my Viva, I have been reflecting on what I have learnt over the past 16 months. In recent weeks recognise that I have been more able to engage in self enquiry within my own teaching practice. I identify certain skills which I may have attained through my study, and seen how they translate into the studio. Additionally, I cannot deny that all of the topical literature and interview findings have impacted on my practice. I have included some examples below:

1) Since becoming more akin to being pushed out of my comfort zone, I've aimed to be more flexible in my teaching approach. I have tried to be less fixated on a lesson plan and encouraged the adjustment of my classes according to the 'feel of the room'.

I try to learn from my students and adopt their ideas rather than imposing my own. Especially with the younger ones! I have noticed that the more collaborative they are with the lesson, the more they seem to benefit! As Mainwairing and Krasnow (2010) explain, it can be empowering for a pupil to believe they have contributed to the class. Positively reinforcing a child when they demonstrate desirable qualities, encourages more behaviour like this in future. Overall, the level of student engagement seems to improve.

2) Similarly I am increasingly aware of my own pitfalls. I fear rowdy environments, chaos, lack of discipline, but mainly because I believe that to reflect my lack of skill as a teacher. That's MY issue. Not the student's problemI have begun to question my aversion to a Child being more vocal. Why could I not embrace their energy instead? Utilise it and recognise the expression as a facet of their vibrant personality. 
There is no need for me to feel threatened by the un-predictibility of such behaviour. 

3) I have observed the correlation between encouragement and performance level. I have always expressed positivity and encouragement towards my students, but I never really appreciated that this could indeed benefit their performance. Rather, my perspective was that being kind and compassionate perhaps led to less physical improvement from a student, but that the approach was still preferable to being authoritarian.
But I now I believe the contrary-.  that a student's potential can be reached even with a softer teaching approach. In fact, pushing a student too hard with critique can subsequently backfire. 

4) My eyes are more open to student sensitivities. Although I have always been concerned about students who are very quiet in their nature, or who seem to lack confidence, I have been thinking more about how I can help such individuals. A teenage student last week seemed particularly pre occupied and quite sad. In hindsight, I wish I'd spoken to her verbally and asked if she was OK. Having more personal dialogue with my adolescent students is something I definitely want to introduce, so I need to be braver in coming forward.

5) Self directed learning: In one of my key texts: The Student Dancer (Buckroyd 2000), an entire chapter is dedicated to autonomous learning. Traditionally, a dance teacher will often assume responsibility for the success or failure of a student (p.117). Buckroyd recognises that this is exhausting for a teacher, and although it can feel frightening to take a step back from that level of control, developing a "grown up, thinking dancer" (Stannard, 1998) is the over arching aim. 

Applying this in practice means I aim to develop the tools for a  self correction. I've been dedicating more time to allowing student's own to practice independently. I have also introduced more opportunities to be creative- allowing the students to choroegraph 16 counts themselves. (I once felt like this was me being a lazy teacher!). But It's not about me. It's about THEM. 

On a final note, I have been trying to embrace the fact that I don't have to be reading books about Qualitative data, and instead I've been reading Atomic Habits- which so far- is brilliant! I believe it can help me with my teaching practice as well as my own personal recovery- demonstrating how identity and beahvaioural systems are the pre cursors to setting goals. It really makes me reflect on my own barriers to change and the unhelpful beliefs I currently hold. 

Additionally, I am aiming to educate myself by listening to more podcasts. I can absolutely recommend the Hard Corps podcast- a series of interviews about mental health with dancers who are determined to vocalise their struggles. I have included the link below:



In the meantime, I hope everyone has an amazing Christmas! We've survived 2020 (just)!

References

Buckroyd, J. (2000). The student dancer: Emotional aspects of the teaching and learning of dance. London: Dance Books.

Clear, J. (2018). Atomic Habits: An easy &proven way to build good habits & break bad ones. Random House. 

Mainwairing, L. M., & Krasnow, D. H. (2001). Teaching the Dance Class: Strategies to Enhance Skill Acquisition, Mastery and Positive Self-Image. Journal of Dance Education, 10(1). Retrieved December 16, 2020, from https://www.tandfonline.com/doi/abs/10.1080/15290824.2010.10387153

THE HARD CORPS PODCAST • A podcast on Anchor. (n.d.). Retrieved December 16, 2020, from https://anchor.fm/THEHARDCORPSPODCAST

No comments:

Post a Comment