A Succinct snapshot- (Kind of)

 

Tis the season.......to have a million and one things to do!

That's how life feels right now- seriously. I was hoping to be able to write a blog post a couple of days ago, directly after our mixed module skype discussion. But then the task of having to compose 550 invoices got in the way, as did lesson prep, as did medical appointments. Oh and the fact that the new tier system has complicated venue hire for the dance school, the pressing task of creating my artefact, and editing my draft before the final deadline.......


But alas, life goes on and things always have a way of getting completed in the end! (I hope). Thankfully, one of the closing messages from Wednesday's discussion was the notion of being 'succinct'. Something which inherently I seem to find impossible. I believe I've spent just as much time trying to deduct a mass of words from the essay as I have creating the report in the first place. I tend to approach my blog displays in the same manner which no doubt bores any readers to tears.

So THIS one will be different. It will be concise, it will be direct, and I will practice the million dollar skill of summarising the relevant information. So, the skype call. What did I learn? What was I left with at the end of the group encounter?


  1. Doubt. (Starting off on a negative note), I often come away feeling like I'm drowning in inferiority as my peers discuss their current progress. I always believe I need to be doing better, need to be doing more, I need to rethink every potential endeavour.

    However, being aware of the tendency to resort to this mindset helps me question its value? Adesola emphasised how each inquiry is not comparabable, probably much like every performer is not measurable. Instead 'unique' is the optimum word. Some of my peer's projects may be slightly more focused on theme, others on process, but that will make each artefact completely individual. I can recognise how much richer the displays will be if they inhabit that creative, personal application. Much more exciting than a presentation which is merely rehashed from person to person.

  2. I left feeling quite inspired at the same time. Hearing each student talk about the ideas they have generated for the artefact really opened my eyes to the possibilities! Many of us shared the common sense of performance pressure. After filming my artefact last week I was incredibly critical of my dancing- anticipating the shame I will feel at having to display my choreography to others. Horrendous!

    Yet the purpose of an artefact is to present information in a different format to the written word. I believe if one can explain their justification for such a creation, and describe the process experienced to try and convey an overarching message, then the purpose of the artefact will have been fulfilled.

  3. An outside perspective. It can be rather blinding to be wrapped up in one's own head. It's incredibly difficult not to presume knowledge- to be unaware of ones priviledge. I have reflected a lot on this, especially throughout the interview data collection stage. My paradigim is different from my participants paradigum. I cannot presume they know my perspective, or understand the lingo I talk about. This became quite evident as Adesola encouraged us to ask eachother questions, which were inspired by what WASN'T said. (Actually one of my artefact themes believe it or not!).

    For example, I could have explained my artefact by saying something like “It's a dance based on joining the dots. The process is never linear so I'm trying to express that through movement. I filmed it in my flat, but this is quite indicative of the enquiry process I have experienced”.

    I may believe that all makes perfect sense, but the listener is probably feeling completely perplexed. Possible questions could therefore be: “How is the flat setting indicative of the enquiry process?” “How did you choose your music?” “Is the dance a particular style? And why did you choose that genre?” “Does the movement indicate topical themes, or the overal study and inquiry process?”.

    You get the idea, taking a step back, it becomes apparent what unspoken words need to actually be voiced.

  4. Be succinct. I feel like I totally haven't managed that to be fair. So I am going to go against all my natural urges and stop this blog post here.

    I feel like like falling short of expected standards and slacking off. But I am going to convince myself it's character building. Skill development. An act of kindness to anyone who is reading?! I shall not waste any more of your time!😅

1 comment:

  1. Hi Sophie,
    I really enjoyed reading this post. I also very much struggle with being concise- I could go on and on about things but I think that shows how much we care about what we are looking at and it can show our passion of something. I also really struggle with doubt, especially with the skype calls I can feel out of my depth. But although you may feel like that, from the skype calls I've been on with you, I've found your input really beneficial. I think as well, the skype calls are a great place to get inspiration from each other- hearing about all the module 2 and 3 ideas was fascinating this week and I'm really looking forward to the module 3 presentations.
    Thank you
    Alys :) x

    ReplyDelete