'The mind is like a parachute, it must be open in order for it to work'

It's been one week since I attended the skype induction and one week in which I have wanted to smash my computer a number of times due to the malfunctioning Unihub pages! But thankfully that has all been sorted now, and I have done my best to get to grips with the content, concepts and structure of the course. In contrast to the ethos of the study which adopts the colloborative, open ended approach; I am one who feels comforted by tick boxes, safe with to do lists, and compact instructions so I do feel slightly like a fish out of water. However, I'm seeing this as a wonderful opportunity (Hence my quote above) to develop a new skillset which I believe can only enhance my practise.

That all starts here with this blog. A platform for Web 2.0 to prokove community discussions of which emphasis on participation is key. I mindlessly socilaise on Facebook, Instagram without really computing that I am therefore a contributing member to this phenomenon. It fills me with both empowerment and tentative responsibility to know that in order to engage in collective intelligence, I myself must actually engage. I liken it much like neural pathways in the brain, where established connections arise out of persistent useage. The more communication, the stronger the community.

I'm looking forward to the stage where I feel more at ease with my BA PP path. At present there are just hundreds of questions in my mind, which is the precursor for doubt, self critique and anxiety.....But after reading in the handbook today about the theories of learning, and how the aknowledgement of Not knowing is perhaps the seed of the learning experience, then I am remaining open, intrigued and curious about what is yet to come....

Waitzkin, J. (2008). The art of learning: a journey in the pursuit of excellence. New York, NY:    Free Spirit. 33.

No comments:

Post a Comment