Writing: A Process, a product, a paradox.

I wasn't sure what to expect from the Skype session which was titled: “Talking about Writing workshop". I’ve become quite used to the standard group chats where we are all left to contribute in in our way, so it was rather novel to experience a ‘workshop’. Despite my apprehension, I really enjoyed participating! Perhaps because I was in a familiar role of feeling like I was subordinately being told what to do. (I think the student dancer will never leave me!) But it was incredibly interesting and I found myself making many connections with my current inquiry process.


Peter Thomas began by sharing the idea that writing was an act which many fear. How strange? Something we all do, probably every day, yet a proceedure which can cause such anxiety. I could absolutely resonate with this notion as I havefound myself procrastinating over getting started with my literature review. Mainly because my mind was circling with “Where do I start?!” “How am I meant to structure it?!” “What if I include citations incorrectly?!” (As usual, predicting catastrophe).
My psyche followed the same path when Peter asked us all to scribe on a page of paper all we could think of in answer to the following question:- What is writing? He instructed that it must be a continuous prose, we must not read over what we had written, and we must not stop. Throughout the whole activity I was harshly judging my scrawl, questioning what everyone would think if I had to read it out in front of the group. How torturous! 


I was reminded of a kind of therapy I was recommended once which was titled ‘Mind dump’. Literally what it says on the tin- you were to wake up in the morning and for ten minutes, continually just write. Whatever thoughts came into your head, just to get it out on paper. An example of putting into words the thoughts which are in one’s mind- supposedly for therapeutic benefit.

Anyway, thankfully, we didn’t have to read out what we had written, but we were encouraged to share the key definitions we had personally connected to the verb ‘writing’. The discussion which followed was evidence of how a community of practice can really deliver. Ideas were sparking up from all angles, and my own perspective of the writing theme expanded to reflect a far bigger picture. I connected this broadening experience to the process of conducting a literature review. The review requires finding out what is currently out there- the different ideas, discourses, theories and opinions on a particular topic. I often find it sobering to realise that there are multiple angles just to look at one concept.
 

Peter then shared the following quote which I thought held quite a lot of irony. Insinuating that writing is a lonely act, but in knowing text can also be shared with others, a paradox is presented.

Figure 1: Quote on writing, Franz Kafka

 

The sharing of writing was perhaps the barrier to freehand. Peter gave some advice on this, recommending that the process of writing consists of different stages and all serve a particular purpose.

GENERATE: List making/mind mapping/scribbling notes: (Not concerning the reader)

ORGANISE: Connecting themes and ideas. (Concerning own perspectives and the reader)

PRESENT: Write in a style which is appropriate for the audience.  (For the reader)

The process of writing flows back and forth between these three stages. I felt reassured at the notion of Generation. Knowing that at first, it isn’t imperative to be thinking about what the reader may be thinking was quite freeing. The main focus is just getting something down on paper which ultimately helped me begin my literature review. 


In my writing endeavours I have recognised the various stages and the impact they have had on my composition. I’d often generate a paragraph, re read it. Perhaps reorganise ideas. Then reflect on what the reader needed to know. Would they understand my key points of communication? Was the mode of delivery appropriate for academia? Writing a qualitative report would be far more formal in language than a blog post for instance. 



Helen then interjected to prompt us students to make connections between these writing processes and our practice. A frequent motif in these modules of study, everything is connected with everything! Just because we were discussing the topic of writing, doesnt mean that the area of learning cannot be applied elsewhere. Eg

GENERATE: Coming up with choreography/inventing teaching methods/listing to music for dance inspiration/ workshopping a dance.

ORGANISE: Thinking of class structures/ lesson aims/ dance step progression/ linking steps to achieve choreography.

PRESENT: What is the purpose? To perform to an audience? For a Dance exam? To inspire creativity amongst students? To display technical precision?

I'm sure there are other applicable scenarios for these processes and I hope I can become aware of these as the weeks progress. However Macaulay & Cree (1999) explain how awareness can only come with experience.  They suggest that any learner must have an opportunity to practice their skills. When the experiences are "grounded in reality" (p. 192) and lived by the learner, then they are able to transfer their newly acquired processes.  The conventions of generating, organising and presenting are certainly existant in my teaching practice.......

Finally, below I have shared a succint little video: How to Write well instantly- Every time. 

Scott Berkun shares his advice by presenting a time lapse video. He give some good suggestions for generating ideas and it's certainly one for me to rewatch when I'm sat, hands over my laptop, gazing at the blank screen with palpitations!


HOW TO WRITE WELL INSTANTLY- EVERY TIME.

Scott Berkun teaches us some of the techniques he uses to write well. In the background is a timelapse video of him writing an essay - from start to finish.

References

Ignite Seattle (2011, April 28) How to Write well instantly- Every time [video] Youtube. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D85NqSrpzew

Kafka, F. (n.d.). [Quotation about the act of writing.]. Retrieved October 18, 2020, from https://allauthor.com/quotes/149656/

Macaulay, C. & Cree, Viviene. (2007). Transfer of learning: Concept and process. Social Work Education: The International Journal. 18. 183-194. 10.1080/02615479911220181.

[The Process of Writing]. (2003, January 4). Retrieved October 18, 2020, from http://member.tokoha-u.ac.jp/~dixonfdm/Core%20Activities/Process%20Writing/process_writing_home.htm



1 comment:

  1. I found the Skype useful for starting my writing as well, mainly for the ethical considerations. It is something that I still find uncomfortable starting as ethics covers such a broad spectrum of ideas.
    Your reflection to link what you learnt through the workshop to other ares of your practice is a great attribute to develop throughout, and continue after this course as well. Thanks for sharing your thoughts on the Skype.

    ReplyDelete